Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Post Election and Other Observations

Hello again from Reno!

Starting with news: I'm only about 4 weeks out from having this little girl! I think she's getting to the over it phase...she's just done being stuck in my belly! More good news! Jason is now working directly for the company that he was contracting for when we initially moved up here! So it looks like this whole Reno thing is going to be pretty long term...Sorry to our Vegas friends, but it looks like we're not coming back anytime soon! Also, we've just accepted an offer on our house, now we just have to wait for the bank to approve it and we'll be good to go! YIPPEE!!

Less than awesome news: I ended up having to go and repeat my one hour glucose screen because my results from my previous doctor's office were never sent...UGH!! So like an idiot I scheduled the repeat test for November 1st...for those of you keeping score, that is the day after Halloween! And what did I do on Halloween? The same thing I've done since I discovered the magic of Halloween, I stayed up late binging on candy! So I wasn't fasting and I hadn't really had much water to drink, so my test came back elevated...I didn't fail outright, but it was higher than normal, so now I have to do the three hour test! Whatever!

Now, on to the actual title of this blog post. First, post-election stuff. Unless you live under a rock, a very large rock, you all know we recently had mid-term elections. As predicted, the Republican party regained control of the House of Representatives and the Democratic party retained control of the Senate. I refuse to refer to the two major parties in this country as "the Republicans" and "the Democrats"...this is not the Hatfield's and the McCoy's, as much as many people would like to think differently. The whole "it's us against them" mentality. There is a lot of noise about not compromising...very much "It's our way or the highway!" Now, maybe I'm the only one who actually attended and listened in Government and Civics, but I'm fairly certain that compromise was one reason that we fought for our independence, we didn't want to have to bend to the will of one person or one group of people. Compromise is a major component of a working Democracy.

I don't usually get very political on the Internet, but I have to say that I have been interested in politics for pretty close to as long as I can remember. I turned ten years old on Election day in 1992, and when people asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I would tell them to go vote! My opinion is, if you're not going to exercise your right to vote, then you have no room to complain about the state of affairs in this country!

Okay, that's my political rant, now on to other observations. I have taken notice of my driving practices...I semi-jokingly tell people that I have a real problem with road rage...like I said, SEMI-joking...I get really annoyed when people do stupid stuff, like speed up to get in front of me, cut me off and then slow down to under the speed limit! That's another thing, I don't really like sticking to speed limits. People! They're not serious when the sign says 65, they mean more like 72...Also, apparently, having a lead foot is genetic, and genetics can't really be cured. Another thing, I learned to drive in Detroit where silly things like using one's turn signal and observing the speed limit are really just gentle suggestions...I can say with great certainty, that if you get on the freeway in and around Detroit and do the speed limit, you will encounter numerous people with a broken horn but fully functional fingers, if you catch my drift. I'm pretty sure that if I had learned to drive somewhere else, really anywhere else, I would not have these attitudes about driving! My motto is "Drive it like you stole it!"

Next observation, I like to do what I call "Sociological experiments" when I'm out and about. One that I used to do was to see how often I carded for any particular purpose when I was by myself versus when I'm out with Jason. In case you don't know, Jason is 11 years older than I am and you can clearly see that he is older than 21. I found that I would get carded every single time when I was alone, but only about a quarter of the time when I was with Jason.

Funny story about looking, or more accurately, not looking my age. It was still census time, and census workers were going door to door. One day, one of these census workers came to my door. I opened the front door and this very sweet woman said, "Hi! I'm so and so with the United States census. Is your mom home?" And I answered, "Well, ma'am, I am the mom...so, yes, I'm home..." She then followed up with, "Oh my goodness! I'm sorry! I thought you were a teenager!" In her defense, I didn't have ANY make-up on, I was wearing my glasses and I did not style my hair that day, and when wear or don't do those things, I do look MUCH younger than I am!

Anyway, on with another observation that follows the line of sociological experiments. I do not wear my engagement ring and wedding band when I take a shower, I don't want to get them tangled in my hair and I don't want all the soap crud to get in under the diamond in my engagement ring. Because I take them off when I take a shower, I don't always remember to put them back on when I get out of the shower. Sometimes, I end up going out without them on. And now with a two year old son and clearly pregnant belly, I get one of two reactions from people when they see my son and that I am clearly expecting another, and they come from complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I either get a reaction of "Oh! How wonderful! When are you due??" Or, I get people who refuse to make eye contact with me but are clearly disgusted with the fact that I am pregnant again and I'm not married...the conclusion of these experiments, people are very strange...

Anyway, we're getting ready for this baby girl to make her debut, and Boo is getting bigger and talks ALL THE TIME!! I feel for my mother now, I'm wildly surprised that she maintained any degree of sanity through our childhoods, especially when we were going through our "repeating phase"...by that I mean, repeating ourselves until she or really anybody answered us back!

Okay then, I think that's everything for now! I hope everyone is doing well!

TTFN! Ta Ta For Now!

--MS:)--

No comments:

Post a Comment