Monday, August 6, 2012

Running, News, Politics and General Thoughts on Life!

Hello from Michigan! So, we've officially left Reno. We rolled out of town on July 16 and arrived at my parent's house on Friday July 20. That was a L...O...N...G drive across this surprisingly vast country (it doesn't look that big in a map book!)! Nebraska is NOT a fun state to drive across! Very flat and very boring! But we made it! As of right now, our house in Reno is in Escrow to close on August 24! Not much to say about that! Conventional sales go much faster than short sales! It's nice! Maybe that was why I got the distinct feeling that we were supposed to go through with buying the house in the first place, we were supposed to do the hard work of waiting for a short sale to go through so that we could turn around and provide someone else with an easy home buying experience! News events that I've been thinking about lately (since I'm done packing, unpacking and repacking for a long enough time that I can think about these things!!). First, the guy who opened fire on Sikh Temple during Sunday service. The police have started revealing some details about the gunman. He was in the military (I forget which branch) but was dishonorably discharged and used to front a "white supremacist heavy metal band"...Somehow, the latter bit of information didn't surprise me. I find it sad that there are still people out there who still think that because someone worships differently than you do means that they must be evil and need to be removed! This country is a melting pot, and it's what makes this country so wonderful! Sadly, there are still some people out there trying to sour the pot. Another news event that I've been thinking about...The Chick-Fil-A dust-up. I know I'm a little late to the game since the actual protests have come and gone. From what I understand, the owner of the company stated that he believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That's fine if he believes that the religious definition of marriage is that it is a union between one man and one woman. My issue is that there are quite a few people who are trying to outlaw same sex unions based on their religious beliefs, and that's fine if your religion doesn't allow same sex marriage, mine doesn't, and that's fine. But the thing with outlawing versus legalizing same sex unions is that people are NOT asking churches to recognize these Unions, they are asking the government, but many people don't understand that these two things have been/are/and should remain separate. The fact is, members of the LGBT community are NOT trying to "destroy the family" in fact, many of these wonderful people are trying to have a family of their own and in some states you can't do that without being in a legal union! All these people who are in love and want to be together want is A PIECE OF PAPER!! And with that piece of paper they want the rights afforded hetero couples when they get that same piece of paper! Things like parental rights, and survivor benefits! I don't fully understand why people have a problem with other people wanting the same rights as everyone else, purely based on just whom they choose to share their lives with! So, this is more of a news and politics post...I haven't done much running since moving, I've gone running twice, hopefully, tonight I can go out for a run again! The kids and I are heading down to Ohio on Wednesday to see Jason and so I can go to the Orthodontist, and we can start figuring out where we want to live! Anyway, still settling into life in Michigan, as best we can, anyway...since we're still in a state of what I've decided to call "locational upheaval"! I think that's all! TTFN! Ta Ta For Now! --MS:)

1 comment: